Town Clerk

Town Clerk

The Town Clerk's office is frequently considered the center of Town Government. It is not only the office, which is responsible for recording all the activities of the town government, but it is also, where documents and papers vital to the lives of its residents are filed.

The Town Clerk is the custodian of the Town Seal, General and Primary Election Coordinator, Records Access Officer, Registrar and is also responsible for administering oaths of office. We seek to provide the best possible service for all our customers and we strive to keep the public informed of all that is going on in our town.

Registrar of Vital Statistics: As the Registrar, the Town Clerk is responsible for maintaining all births and deaths that occur in the Town. These records are not open to the public for inspection.

Filing Officer for the Town: The Town Clerk is responsible for keeping an accurate record of all Town laws, ordinances, resolutions, Town contracts, agreements, annual budgets, assessment rolls, fiscal reports, notices of lien, subpoena and court actions, bonds, proof of publications, resignations, and petitions.

Bonnie Hopkins

Bonnie Hopkins

(518) 834-9035


9:00am - 2:00pm
9:00am - 2:00pm
9:00am - 2:00pm
9:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday, Saturday & Sunday
By Appointment

Recording Secretary to Town Board: The Town Clerk attends all Town of AuSable Town Board meeting and keeps a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting. The Town Clerk is not a member of the Town Board and has no vote on any matters coming before the Board.

Records Management Officer: The Town Clerk is the custodian of all permanent Town records and is responsible for managing these records (storage,retrieval)for all departments of the Town. The records are retained according to the New York State Archives Records Retention Schedule for municipalities.

Issuing Agent for State Agencies: The Town Clerk issues the following licenses as an agent for New York State: Marriage, Dog, Conservation, Bingo and Games of Chance, Handicapped Parking Permits.

Records Access Officer: The Town Clerk is responsible for all Freedom of Information requests (FOIL). Fees are $.25 per copy.

Marriage Licenses

  • Licenses are issued during Clerk Hours
    No appointment necessary.
  • Both parties must be over 18.
  • Fee: $40.00
  • Each party must bring in two forms of ID (one a picture ID & birth certificate)
  • Both applicants must come in person
  • Any previously married persons must provide date of death, or certified copy of divorce papers, whichever is applicable.
  • Valid for 60 days after 24 hour waiting period.
Application for Marriage Record
Marriage License Worksheet

Dog Licenses

  • Dogs over four months old must be licensed
  • Proof of current rabies vaccination and proof of spaying/neutering (if applicable) must be provided.
  • Fee is $10.00 for spayed/neutered dog,
    $20.00 for a dog that has not been spayed/neutered.
  • License available for 1, 2, or 3 years with valid rabies certificate.
  • License must be renewed.
  • Application for Dog License

Handicap Parking Permits

  • For a permanent condition, you must submit a NYS Department of Motor Vehicles application (available at our office) which has been completed by a physician.
  • For a temporary condition, you must submit a NYS Department of Motor Vehicles application (available at our office) which has been completed by a physician stating expected date of recovery. Temporary permits can be issued for up to 6 months.
  • Application for Handicap Parking Permit

F.O.I.L. Requests

Our office is responsible for all Freedom of Information Law (F.O.I.L.) requests. Please present them in writing to the Town Clerk. A written response will be provided within five business days. A form below is provided to aid in public requests. You may print this form out and present it to the Town Clerk when completed.

Application for F.O.I.L. Request
F.O.I.L. Frequently Asked Questions